and the after:
Pretty big change huh? We added some stone boarder pieces (.82 cents each), 5 inpatients between the green things that flower (?), and mulch. We finally realized that the flowers we were planting in this area were nice looking, but needed full sun. This area is pretty much shaded all day. Here is a follow up picture a few weeks later:
We decided to plant a garden in the back. Here are some progression shots of building the garden and planting. Notice the detail in cutting the timbers at 45 degree angles...
We layed the garden far enough away from the fence to ensure the lawn mower could fit between. However, as you can see, the grass seems to be taking a cue from the hair on my (Brian's) head.
We planted some marigolds (to deter things with their smell...that is our theory, and it seems to work), tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, green onions, and cucumbers. Here is a more recent shot, all we have left to do now is put a layer of top soil over the gardern.